Tuesday

Tasty Tuesday: The Only Casserole My Kids Will Eat

Hopefully I'm not the only mom with this trouble, but my children will NOT eat a casserole. Those delicious Mexican ones...won't touch them. Chicken Pot Pie...not in a million years.  King Ranch Chicken...in your dreams. *sigh*

Apparently, having an all-in-one meal idea is not happening with my children. Until my mom introduced us to the hands-down most delicious chicken and rice casserole we'd ever eaten. Now I have one casserole my kids will eat, and I'm sharing it with you. Because I'm that kind of friend :)

Note: I will be citing the original recipe but putting my way of making it in parentheses. I make it a little healthier, than the original.

Here is what you will need for Chicken and Rice:



1 can cream of onion soup
1 can cream of celery soup (I use the 98% fat free)
1 can cream of chicken soup (I use the 98% fat free)
1 1/2 soup cans of milk (I use fat free milk)
1 cup white rice (You can't make this one with brown rice, so don't even try. Ask me how I know.)
1 package boneless, skinless chicken tenders (or cut up some chicken breasts)
3 oz Parmesan cheese (I had to use cheddar cheese when making it for the blog because Hubby and Magpie got into my Parmesan and ate it all. I live with rats.)
1 small package of sliced or slivered almonds (These can be left out, but we like the crunch it gives.)

First, butter a 13x9 inch baking dish generously. I do not butter the dish. Cooking spray works just fine and cuts some calories.



Mix soups and milk well in a large bowl.



Pour half of soup mixture into a small bowl. Add rice to the small bowl; stir to mix.



Pour rice and soup mixture into baking dish.



Place chicken on top.



Pour rest of soup over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese (I really like the Parmesan better than the cheddar, but either works) and almonds.


Bake in a 275 degree oven for three hours.




Yep, you read that right. Three hours. But the low cooking temp combined with the long time makes the chicken fork-tender. This is my go to Sunday lunch dish because it is ready once you walk in the door from Sunday school and worship. It is also great when you have company over. Put this in three hours before dinner time, and you don't have to spend all that last minute time cooking.


Enjoy!


Calling an exterminator for the tree house (stay out of the cheese!!!),

Chelli

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to try this--my mouth is watering from that last picture! Thanks for sharing (and making me hungry).

    ReplyDelete