Wednesday

Tasty Tuesday: A New Year's Dish

I'm not really sure why this recipe is a New Year's one. It's not necessarily a festive dish, but like many people in the South we eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day and this dish goes great with that. I give you permission to eat it any other time of year you want to as well. All I know is my mom has been cooking this for New Year's every year for as long as I can remember.

Here's what you need to make Brocooli and Rice Casserole.


1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 stick of butter
1 package frozen broccoli, cooked
2 cups cooked rice (I use instant brown rice.)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 jar (15 oz) of Cheese Whiz


Saute the onions and celery in butter.




Heat cheese and soups until blended. Don't add water.



Combine drained broccoli and rice to soup and cheese.


Mix, then add the cooked onions and celery.


Pour mixture into a 9x13 baking dish.




Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.



This reipe makes a lot, but it freezes great!


Everybody in my family likes this one, except Chipette who's not a broccoli eater. Chipette just devours the black-eyed peas!

I hope all of you enjoyed your New Year!

Eating our luck and wealth in the treehouse on New Year's Day,

Chelli

No comments:

Post a Comment