Wednesday

Tasty Tuesday: How To Kill A Pig

People responded so positively to the last pork chop recipe I shared, Five Star Pork Chops, that I thought I would share this wonderful dish as well. While the recipe I’m sharing with you is from Paula Deen it is very similar to a recipe that my mom used to make when I was at home. As usual, I used Paula’s recipe as my base, then added in the changes to make it more like Mom’s.

Here is what you need to make Smothered Pork Chops:

3 Tbs. butter
1 ½ cups uncooked long grain rice
1 onion diced
3 cups chicken broth
1 Tbs. dried oregano
1 tsp. ground sage
1 tsp. salt
4-6 pork chops
Salt, pepper, and garlic to season chops
½ bell pepper, sliced


First, melt butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add rice and onion to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until rice is browned and onion is tender.




While rice mixture is cooking, combine broth, oregano, sage, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.


Now stir the rice mixture into the boiling broth, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes.


Sprinkle pork chops with salt, pepper, and garlic to taste and brown in a large skillet over medium-high heat about two minutes per side.


Place chops in a 13x9 inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.


Spoon rice mixture evenly over pork chops.  Place sliced bell pepper on top of rice.


Cover tightly with heavy-duty foil and bake for 45 minutes.

When I came home from Ladies’ Bible Study there was nothing left, but the rice, so no pictures of this dish on my plate!

But trust me; it’s a delicious way to cook up some tender, yummy pork chops.

Killing pigs by “smothering” them in the tree house,

Chelli

No comments:

Post a Comment